Our client is an American buying organization with offices in Hong Kong and Dongguan with satellite offices in other Chinese cities. It employs more than 500 people in Greater China.
THE POSITION - Financial Controller
The company is currently seeking a Financial Controller who will work in both the Hong Kong office (1 to 2 days a week) and the Dongguan office (3 to 4 days a week). He/She will report to the COO based in the United States while working closely and supporting the Executive Vice President of Asia, who is based in Dongguan. The successful candidate will oversee the Finance teams in Hong Kong and China as well as the Shipping, IT and Administrative departments in Dongguan. In total, the candidate will supervise 70 employees of which 12 are in the finance department.
- • Supervises the preparation of financial statements, management accounts, budgeting and forecasting according to requirements from the holding/parent company.
- • Ensures that daily accounting operations comply with legal & regulatory requirements.
- • Submits standard reports to the offices in the US, such as the weekly cash report, weekly payments etc.
- • Monitors the AR and AP operation in order to reduce the risk of bad debt issues as well as ensure that there are no delays in AP settlements.
- • Handles legal, company secretary and tax matters in China and HK region.
- • Provides on time monthly financial analysis.
- • Ensures that the HK and PRC teams work smoothly and coordinate with each other in order to complete finance tasks.
- • In charge of year-end audit, taxation filing etc.
- • Participates in enhancement of the accounting system and budgetary control procedures.
- • Handles ad hoc assignments.
- • Understands China’s Custom Import & Export Regulations and is able to plan for accounting and custom matters.
- • Ensures tax laws and regulations are strictly adhered, researching and analyzing tax matters while managing the tax risks with the local tax bureau.
- • Liaises with external auditors to complete annual audit and statutory reports, acting as the key contact person.
The successful candidate has at least 10 years of experience working in the accounting field having spent some time working China, ideally in an American company. As such, he/she is familiar with American reporting requirements. However, candidates with experience working in other well-respected companies will also be considered. He/She should have knowledge of China tax regulations. Ideally, he/she has supervised teams such as shipping, administration and IT.
- • The ideal candidate has a tertiary degree preferably holding an accounting degree.
- • The successful candidate holds an accounting qualifications such as the HKSA or ACCA.
- • He/She has worked in a well-respected audit firm at the beginning of their career.
- • Strong computer skills using spreadsheets and databases is required.
- • Strong analytical, organizational and management skills, being able to effectively prioritize work, as well as, motivate and train subordinates.
- • Good inter-personal skills, open-minded and proactive, being service oriented in terms of providing timely reports or completing ad hoc projects. He/She is able to build strong relationships with other teams, communicating effectively with internal and external parties.