Our client is a color and skin care cosmetic brand owner that sells its products in the United Kingdom and Germany. It is also an ODM manufacturer of color cosmetics, hair care, body washes and skin care products and provides a wide variety of packaging solutions to global cosmetic brands. Having R&D facilities in the United States, the United Kingdom, China and Thailand that employ 90 scientists and researchers, the R&D teams do formulation development in color cosmetics, personal care, hair care, skin care, oral care, and fragrances categories. The formulations are tailor-made to the customers' needs but remain in the ownership of our client.
THE POSITION - VP of Global R&D, Cosmetics
The successful candidate can be based in the United Kingdom, Thailand or China, and will be responsible for ensuring that the company meets its research and development objectives, developing new products or technologies and improving existing products in the four research centers. He/She must ensure that the company correctly understands and anticipates market demand, planning and developing products to meet consumer needs that are competitive in the marketplace. Developing and driving the overall global strategic plan for R&D, the Vice President of Global Research and Development will ensure the timely implementation of the R&D programs while maintaining operational excellence. The successful candidate will ensure that all the four research and development centers work to a standard of excellence, communicating and coordinating among themselves to deliver outstanding products.
- In conjunction with the business development teams, responsible for business case development, technology screening, and product/process development.
- Implement a range of projects covering reformulation, raw materials, and manufacturing process/site changes.
- Collaborate with Operations, Marketing, Manufacturing and Quality Assurance teams to find opportunities and drive projects forward.
- Lead cross-regional teams and projects focusing on improving product/process quality and cost.
- Direct the Research and Development (R&D) program, from new product proposal to commercialization.
- Drive accountability, consistency, quality and process standardization across all the phases of research and development.
- In accordance with company objectives, develop and monitor research plans and budgets for R&D projects, ensuring projects are completed on time and within cost objectives.
- Ensure the ongoing monitoring and maintenance of R&D laboratory and testing equipment including purchasing testing equipment in a cost-effective manner, and arranging equipment calibrations and preventative maintenance.
- Support marketing and quality assurance/control directors in dealing with technical and quality issues raised by customers.
- Provide presentations to customers and travel with marketing team to meet customers as required.
- Recruit, build, develop and coach the R&D teams on all the key aspects of work performance such that subordinates meet a high standard of operational efficiency and safety.
- Overall responsibility for new formulations being fully compliant with all Laws and Regulations governing business operations.
The ideal candidate will have successfully led research and product development teams within companies manufacturing for personal care, cosmetics, or toiletries industries. He/She must have demonstrated a strong capability to lead cross-functional, complex teams, delivering on project objectives and landmarks, and managing resources, timelines and budgets. Ideally, he/she has managed teams at multiple sites overseeing several direct reports while managing large-scale research projects.
- A minimum of a Bachelor Degree with a preference for a Master’s degree or a PhD in the field of either Chemical, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Photochemistry, or Biotechnology Science.
- At least 20 years' relevant experience in product development and design in the beauty and cosmetic industry.
- At least 5 years working experience in a senior management role.
- Working knowledge of FDA, Formulation Design and Critical Parameter Management.
- Knowledge of cosmetics formulation/raw materials, R&D instruments and equipment. Actual hands-on formulation experience is highly preferred.
- Wide-range and hands-on knowledge of local and international R&D compliance standards, including European regulations, SFDA and GMPC.
- Computer proficiency and solid presentation skills are required.