Our client is a subsidiary of multinational conglomerate. This subsidiary designs and manufactures metal, modern, and wood furniture for home and work environments. It offers entertainment furniture, including consoles, TV stands, entertainment walls, and towers; office furniture, such as desks, bookcases, files, and seating; dining furniture, such as bar stools, and tables and chairs; storage solutions, including garages and closets; living space furniture, such as chairs and ottomans, and gaming and home organization solutions; and fireplaces.
THE POSITION - QA Director, Furniture
Based in Dongguan, China, the role will report to the General Manager. The Quality Assurance Director is a business leader who is responsible for understanding all of the requirements related to how quality is handled by the company, and ensuring that all subordinates are properly trained to understand each of these quality inspection areas. The Director is responsible for the mangement and oversight of a QA team, ensuring that customer inspections, daily inspectoin reports, pre-check reports, corrective action plan (CAP) creation and follow-up, and other QA activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner, and that each employee is properly trained to successfully complete all of their job functions. The Director, Quality Assurance is responsible for the Management of assigned Factories, ensuring that these Factories remain responsible for their own Quality Control and ensures that Factories meet company’s expectations related to Quality.
- • Oversight over teams of QA Managers & Production Controllers that oversee quality at assigned factories & ensure Whalen gets the best performance out of each team.
- • Ensure the company product is manufactured to the proper standards, rejecting products that do not meet that standard, and pushing Factory to maintain shipping schedules. The Director, Quality Assurance has full authority to stop the production line and prevent product from shipping if the Quality level of the product is not up to company standards.
- • Review all Customer samples to ensure that is only shipping perfect samples for Customer review.
- • Investigate and resolve product and / or production issues to ensure that product is of proper quality level and
ships on-time to the customers.
- • Train supervisors, leaders and QA staff to strictly follow all the company quality procedures and standards.
- • Review the pre-production & production processes from start to finish for all projects to ensure quality standards are met for the first shipments.
- • Ensure review of relevant reports to better manage and plan resources in assigned factories:
- 1. Consolidated Green Item List
- 2. QA Production Status Report
- 3. Customer and Defect Reports
- 4. QA Manpower Report
- 5. QA Working Hours Report
- • Follow-up on Corrective Action Plans (CAPs) by completing relevant research, determining root causes to issues, determining action plans to address the issue, and presenting photographs to show issues have been resolved.
- • Train factories to self QC throughout entire production process.
- • Train team leaders to better communicate with factory teams, top management, and factory
management. This should be done with a follow up email detailing issue, root cause and solution.
- • Develop team members and plan for succession. Determine who will be the next QA Supervisors, who should
become Director, Quality Assurance, and determine career paths for all top-performers.
- • Monitor all team members to ensure that QA are operating in an ethical manner.
Education & Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) or equivalent from four year college or university, or more than ten years related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
• 10+ years of experience in furniture, specifically focused on the US national retail chain Customers.
• 3-5 years of Management experience
• Must have the ability to travel internationally and to work in factories for extended periods of time.
• Must be detail oriented and able to work under pressure and with constant deadlines.
The Director must have the ability to read and interpret technical documents, corrective action plans, and other such documentation in both English and their local language. The Director must possess the ability to read, write, and speak conversational English, including technical terminology related to quality. The ability to speak Asian languages would also be an asset.
The Director must possess the ability to define problems, collect data, complete root cause analysis, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The Director must possess the ability to interpret audit results and determine the appropriate course of action a factory must take to address any violations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is performed in Factories. At the factory location, the position requires the Director to work under various conditions within the factory setting; from office environment to production floor. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The Director is encouraged to use Personal Protective Equipment when on the production floor at factories.