Our client owns four woven garment factories in and near Dhaka, Bangladesh that employ approximately 12,000 employees. It is in the process of building a fifth facility, which will manufacture ladies blouses and tops and employ an additional 2,500 workers. The factories are modern and comply with safety and social compliance requirements of their major retail customers, most of which are European brand names such as H&M, C&A, S. Olivier, and Decathlon. It also has several famous American brand names such as VF as its customers. It currently exports more than 2 million pieces per month from the four existing factories. The company has an office in Hong Kong that is responsible for finance and logistics. It is creating a new position to generate sales to Japanese customers. It is understood that it takes time to build up business with Japanese accounts, and the client is thus willing to provide a contract for a two year period of time.
THE POSITION - Sales & Merchandising Mgr - Japan Market
Sales and Merchandising Manager – Japan Market
- Based in Hong Kong and reporting to the Merchandising Director in Dhaka regarding customers’ orders and requirements as well as to the Finance Director in Hong Kong regarding administrative matters, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing business with Japanese accounts. Currently, the company does not have business with Japanese retailers or importers, but has facilities capable of passing stringent quality requirements.
- The successful candidate will develop a list of potential clients and visit their facilities in Japan on a regular basis to make sales presentations.
- He/she will make sales calls on Japanese buying offices operating in Hong Kong as well.
- Periodically, the candidate will travel to Dhaka to familiarize himself/herself with the factory and the international colleagues working there.
- He/she will also accompany potential customers for factory visits.
- The successful candidate will act as a bridge between the customer and the factory, clearly communicating the clients’ requirements and specifications to the merchandising teams in Dhaka.
- He/she will be involved in price negotiations.
• The ideal candidate has worked for a large factory group selling garments to famous Japanese importers or retailers such as Uniqlo and is familiar with Japanese business culture, having existing relationships in the garment industry.
• The candidate must be knowledgeable about woven fashion garments.
• He/she must be able to speak English clearly and ideally can also speak Japanese.
• As this is a sales role, the candidate must maintain a tidy and professional appearance and conduct himself/herself with a high degree of professionalism.