Our client is currently buying from Asia FOB US$ 700 million in furniture products that are sold in North America, Europe, and Asia. The company has two major divisions that are determined by product price ranges, markets and customers. One is focused on low priced furniture for the American market. The other division, called the Contemporary Modern Division, is handling about FOB US$ 200 million and its furniture products are sold primarily in North America and the United Kingdom, with auxiliary sales in Northern Europe. The division purchases furniture primarily from China and Vietnam and has approximately 170 people working in merchandising, quality and product development roles. It also has business development teams and design teams working in the United States and Europe, where it has show rooms. While the company does develop products for its customers, it also develops furniture based on the designs or design concepts provided by its customers. The Modern Contemporary Furniture team is divided into two sections: one business unit designs and manufactures expensive solid wood furniture, while another develops lifestyle, trendy furniture in the low and mid-tier price ranges. Due to increased business with internet customers in the United States and Europe, the company is creating a new team that will focus exclusively upon internet customers and as a result is seeking a Sourcing Manager.
THE POSITION - Sourcing Manager - Furniture - Internet
Sourcing Manager Furniture – Internet Customers – Based in Shanghai
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, who is a Taiwanese based in Shanghai, the candidate will source occasional furniture, case goods and some upholstered furniture mostly from Chinese suppliers as well as some Vietnamese factories. The successful candidate will work from the Shanghai offices but travel in China and periodically to the United States. On a daily basis he/she will works with the company’s designers and sales personnel in the United States as well as directly with the internet customers’ buying teams. He/She will help recruit a team to assist in serving these accounts. By year end the team will manage an FOB volume of US$ 40 million.
The successful candidate will drive sourcing and negotiate competitive prices while ensuring that products are shipped on time and meet specified quality and design specifications. He/She will work with buyers who visit during buying trips.
The customers expect speedy responses to their inquiries and so the successful candidate must provide timely responses to clients’ requests for information.
• The ideal candidate is currently working in a American or European furniture buying office or trading company as a Merchandising Manager or Sourcing Manager handling purchasing furniture the medium price ranges.
• Supervising a team of 3 to 5, he/she has worked directly with buyers and understands their concerns and requirements. The successful candidate is also experienced in working with colleagues in Europe or the United States responsible for design and sales with a track record of good collaboration.
• Preferably, he/she has factory work experience at an earlier stage in their career development and is very knowledgeable about furniture production and pricing. Experience handling flat pack furniture is highly valued but is not a must. Ideally the candidate has handled accent furniture, case goods and upholstery furniture.
• Experience handling internet customers is prized but is not mandatory.
• The candidate must speak and write English and Mandarin fluently. The interviews will be conducted in English
• In character, the candidate must be a good communicator, proactive, honest, and able to work independently. He/She must be highly intelligent and possess a good work ethic.